Tuesday, 21 August 2012

My lucky day

My Lucky Day

In the afternoons of most fine days you will find me at Lafarge Lake in Coquitlam, B.C., sitting on my mobile scooter with my camera at the ready.

So it was on August 16th 2012 at close to 5 p.m. I noticed something 'different' at the opposite end of the lake where the geese and ducks gather to be fed by the little ones.

On arriving to investigate, to my amazement, I saw a Blue Heron right at the water's edge. I have seen herons at the lake before but, always, well away from humans.

I quickly set up my Canon EOS 7D camera with a 300 mm lens and started shooting.







The heron was going behind a bush, so I went to the other side of the bush in anticipation of taking more shots when it came out. But the heron never appeared. I turned around and thought that was it for the day but, out of the corner of my eye and to my right, there was the heron, or so I thought. 

With the sun directly behind the subject, it was not a good situation to use a camera, so after this shot,


I set the camera's built-in flash to full strength and started again.


As you can see, the flash made quite a difference to the exposure.

Poor heron, it was about 33 degrees Celsius at the time and it was puffing to try and cool down.

It was just after taking this picture the question of how the heron managed to get past without my seeing it was answered, the 'disappearing' heron flew over my head and the heron above (it's 'mate') flew off as well. So, there were two herons, not one.

So, how was your day?












1 comment:

  1. Those are some lovely shots there! Herons make such elegant subjects don't they?

    Susan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by!